This month is classic novels. Bookish Box is a delightful way to get a surprise fix for book nerd delights. I loved every item I received, but the monthly cost was too much for my tiny pocket.
The tshirt was soft and fit perfect. The ring was a tad tight for my ring finger. The rest was great.
I’d suggest this box for those with excess income who enjoy book themed merchandise. It’s not worth the monthly cost for me to keep it up though.
So I work in a library and you would think it would be a low stress job right? Put some books away, check some books in, deal with questions and call it a day…. Well, apparently people want to make it a little harder on me or just want to annoy me….
Top Pet Peeves While Working Here….
1. People who don’t push in their chairs.
Alright, I get it you are a busy college student and have things on your mind BUT HAVE YOU LOST ALL USE OF YOUR ARMS? ARE YOU UNABLE TO PUSH IN A FUCKING CHAIR? WHAT MAKES YOU THINK IT’S OK TO LEAVE A COMPUTER CHAIR HALF WAY ACROSS THE ROOM, MORON?! Seriously, I don’t get it. People will leave their chairs so far away from the table you’d think a giant stood up. After pushing in almost all the chairs at the end of an eight hour shift (and dealing with idiots for that long) you would feel your brain dying too.
2. When people leave food/wrappers/paper/disgusting things/personal items at their tables.
You would not believe all the HALF EATEN food I have had to clean up. One time I wasn’t paying attention and swept some wrappers off a table and there was a partially sucked jolly rancher hidden in a wrapper. Want to know how I know it was sucked on?! IT WAS FUCKING WET! They had put in back in the wrapper, kind of, and left it there. Seriously… WHAT… THE… FUCK…. I mean how disgusting are you? I’ve found homework, earrings, personal notes, sandwiches, A FRUIT CUP WITH THE FRUIT STILL IN IT on the THIRD FLOOR of the book shelves by a window(lucky I found it and threw it away or else who knows how long it would stay there for) partially eaten pretzels, gummy bears… I mean the list goes further to more disgusting objects. I’m surprised we don’t have hoards of mice the way people leave their shit lying around. I irritates me to no end when people don’t clean up their areas like how I leave them.
3. When people leave books randomly throughout the library and don’t bring them to the desk.
Alright, usually when you don’t check out a book and you just want to look through it you go read it and then you bring it to the librarian or leave it in a designated spot we check periodically. Once we have the book we “count use it” which mean we check it in to see how many people have used the book so we know what to get rid of and what to keep. What people like to do is leave their books in random fucking spots that I can’t see and then at the end of the night right before closing I’ll find them; wedge here, tumbled there, just what the hell. I’m sitting at the desk on the way out! How are you too lazy to pick up the book and just give it to me!? These are usually very heavy books too so have to gather them all up myself and at ten o’clock at night that is not my version of a “good time”. It’s like a fucking scavenger hunt I didn’t sign up for!.
4. When people ask me questions and I give them a correct answer but they just stare at me like whattttt no that’s not it.
An example: so after ten minutes of trying to explain to this lady that the room in library that has computers in it closes at ten because it is apart of the library and our hours are 8-10, she didn’t believe me…. Turns out she was here on a weekend (we close at 6 or 8 depending on whats happening) And she was insisting that it closed at 8. Fine it fucking closes at 8, you know I just work here and you asked me but hey whatever. (She didn’t even use the room after she asked)
5. Not knowing the name of the book, the class it is for, or your teacher’s name.
I am not a fucking wizard and I can’t pull the book out of thin air. Also, telling me the COLOR of the text book will only make me give you the “WTF” look. I need at least the name or the author, even the class or teacher it is for would be nice, but noooooo. These idiots come in like ummm I don’t like umm know what it’s called or anything, but ummm can you like ummm get it for me. No I cannot, find me some information and I can get it for you but until then no just no. Or they will tell me it’s a biology book, ok which one? They don’t know… Do you people have any idea where you are!? You are in a library! Do you know how many books we have pertaining to biology with biology in the title?! A whole bunch, guys, a whole bunch…. Just what the hell..
6. People who stand there while I check their stuff back in.
Unless you have a question or want to know if you have a fine GO AWAY. I will check your book in and it will be just fine. I don’t need you there. I mean have you ever been to a library before?! Leave your shit and get out. We have book deposits so you can leave your stuff there, and I hate it when they stare intensely at me. I should just ignore them or ask them do you need anything else because you don’t need to be here if you don’t.
7. We have an OVERNIGHT book drop outside our doors, not a DURING THE DAY book drop.
Instead of taking the twenty extra steps to drop your book off by me you decide to be a lazy asshole and stick you stuff in the overnight bin. You do know what overnight means right? It most likely won’t be looked at until the next day or perhaps, by chance, at noon just in case. Don’t put vhs tapes in there, reserve books or paper backs, because guess what! People like to return twenty pound books in there and your vhs will be crushed and you will pay a fine. If it’s late you will also pay a fine, but you know what?! Do it see if I care…. even if I am the one who has to check in the twenty books lying in there because of you assholes…
8. Finally, the fact that my boss stuck me on long shifts two days in a fucking row.
I really don’t get my boss, she’s a nice understanding lady, but she gave me the worst hours ever. I made sure to let her know when I was free for hours so she could spread them out throughout the week, so what does she do? She gives me 2:00pm-10:00pm and 4:00pm-10:00pm on the two most boring nights of the week; Wednesday and Thursday. I’m sure she meant well or there was some sort of thought that made her think this was a good idea… but she also had my school schedule so she would know she was making my Wednesday the longest day of my life. I get up at 7:00am or something for class and I don’t get back to my dorm until after 10:00pm… yeah.. I think she hates me. Thursdays aren’t so bad I don’t have class until one and then I go to work, but after a Wednesday of moving for twelve hours it gets to you. I think that’s why I’m so angry with work and school right now, I have to deal with dumb asses for long hours and have very little sleep….
I will be so glad when this semester is over and I can get into my summer mode of happiness… though most likely I will have a factory job… YAYYYYY….
About a year ago I came across a very interesting comic book writer/web designer called The Oatmeal. I immediately fell in love with his sarcasm and his (at times) extreme opinions. None of his work is to be taken seriously and it’s a good time (for those who are into his humor). I bought his first book ” 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth (And Other Useful Guides)” and after I read it I knew I had found an artist I wanted to keep following. So I bought “How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you“, and again I was giggling idiotically. The Oatmeal gets my sick/sarcastic humor and doesn’t offend me. I look forward to buying more of his work.
That being said, I can imagine many out there being offended by his opinions and how he portrays them. Before you go running out to buy his books check out his website, http://theoatmeal.com/comics.
This day is more than about rights, it’s about remembering the women who came before us and the women who are in front of us. Let’s honor all the hardworking women and show we care! Acknowledge those women in your lives who have made you stronger!
Mine is and always will be my mom. Her strength, love, dignity, smarts, and perseverance have gotten my family and I through hell and back. She taught me how to become the woman I am today, with all my flaws and honors. Thanks Mom!
Please remember to respect all the women in your life and encourage them to be as amazing as you know they are.
For those of you with daughters encourage them in the sciences and math. Do your best to build their self-esteem. She can become whatever she wants, no matter how difficult it may seem. I have provided a few helpful links that could start your search for helping your girls!
And here’s some more awesome stuff!
For those of you with older girls who are going through the dreaded puberty here is a book that I bought for my boyfriends 11 year old sister, it should lead you to other helpful books. Warning, this book is very open about male puberty as well as female and talks about sex very openly. If your child is under 11 or your household doesn’t want to talk about those specific things quite yet either censor the book or don’t buy it. My bf’s sister just skipped the parts she wasn’t ready for and she loved the rest of it. It has so much helpful information for girls her age. .
For those with graduating daughters, Our Bodies, Ourselves. I bought it (I’m twenty) and I love it, it has so much information that will be great for my whole life and to share with others.
It’s pretty easy to get information on how to help girls with STEM these days with the internet and all the research, plus camps and summer programs. Amazon.com is a great way to search for books and toys, they always get a lot of my paychecks. I wish you parents and families luck! There’s no way I could handle worrying about this stuff.
Before the list I just want to ask what happened to female characters who actually stood up for themselves and didn’t need a man. So many books out there are about simpering, simple, whiny girls who get an obsessive man in the end. I am way beyond over that scene.
1. Bella Swan. Her whole “woe is me” demeanor and the fact that she can’t decide what guy to be with irritates me to no end. In fact the whole slew of characters irritate me at some point. Everyone basically knows how irritating she is, so why go on? In fact we should pay no attention to these books and hope they forever leave our stratosphere.
2. Justice Strauss from Series of Unfortunate Events. I remember reading these books and being so frustrated with her because she never listened to the children. This actually goes for every adult that could’ve helped the trio but never did.
3. Anastasia from Fifty Shades. The first book is pretty okay, but by the end I’m hoping she would die from an island disease on their honeymoon. Jesus, she was whiny, needy, and never ate. An awful character progression. In the beginning she was nerdy, stood up for herself, and seemed to have a good life… disappointing.
4.Stephanie Plum Evanovich novels. I love these books sooooo much but, I just want her to pick a man. I personally love Diesel, but we all know she will end up with Morelli. Evanovich please end my suffering!!!
5. Lady Catherine Debourgh Pride and Prejudice. I think she’s pretty self-explanatory. She’s stubborn and instigates so much frustration. I do love to hate her though, and she is the reason Elizabeth and Darcy get together so you can’t absolutely hate her.
6. Amy Dorrit Little Dorrit. I love this book dearly and Amy. The one thing at the end that bugs me is when she doesn’t claim her inheritance because she doesn’t want to hurt Arthur. Alright, I understand some of the reason but after he got out of debtor’s prison she could’ve told him she found out she had a legacy. I know money isn’t everything but my goodness…. Take what’s yours! She was spunky through the book and kind, then suddenly bam! No spunk just kind.. and a little like a wet noodle.
7. Eragon. I just can’t finish the series… this boy has gotten seriously irritating.
8. Belly The Summer Series. Very flip floppy and Bella Swan feeling… did not like the books.
9. Gale Hunger Games. Peeta for the win! Gale felt creepy at times.
10. Anna Karenina. Tragic love story… no fricken stupid love story. I have no sympathy for characters who kill themselves off because of love or not having love or their love died… whatever…